UPDATED MAY 14, 2015
Coming Soon Privacy Notice In Spanish
Your privacy is important to us. This Privacy Notice details how we, Georgia-Pacific LLC and our subsidiaries, affiliates, and partners may collect, use, and share information about you as you use our Internet services. Our Internet services include:
- our websites
- our online advertisements and promotions
- our online communications with you
- our mobile applications
- our social networking presence
Information we collect
We collect information about you by several means, including:
- asking you to provide the information, for example by filling out a form;
- by automated means, such as cookies and usage tracking; and
- by obtaining information from third parties, such as data vendors.
We collect both personal information, that is, information that identifies you, and other information that is not connected to your identity. Please click here for a more detailed description.
How we use and share your information
We use your information to communicate with you about our products, services, and promotions, including via online advertising, to get your feedback on our products and services, to manage and improve our business and our online presence, and for other purposes we describe in the Privacy Notice. We may share your information with certain service providers and marketing partners, if we are required to provide the data by law, or as part of the sale of any portion of our company. We do not share your personal information with third parties except as described in this Privacy Notice. Please click here for more information.
We offer you certain choices about how we collect, use, and share information about you and how we communicate with you, including choices regarding:
- receiving marketing communications from Georgia-Pacific and our business partners;
- sharing your information with certain third parties;
- receiving online targeted advertising; and
- sharing the geographic location details of your mobile device.
How We Collect Information
We may collect information about you from various sources and by various means. Specifically, we may obtain information about you:
- On our websites (e.g., when you submit requests for product information or product samples, sign up for business alerts, or participate in our online contests, sweepstakes, and other promotions)
- When you contact us by email, phone, or other means
- Through our social media pages and other features
- When you use our mobile applications
- When you choose to participate in third-party applications or features (such as one of our social networking presences or a similar application or feature on a third party website) through which you allow us to collect and share (or the third party to collect and share) information about you, including personal information
- When other users of a third party website give us access to the information about you, for example if you are listed in another user's "connections"
- From our parent, affiliate or subsidiary companies, and business partners
- From other third parties, such as commercial data vendors, public databases, and other public and non-public sources
In addition to the information you provide directly to us and the data we obtain from third parties, our Internet services use a variety of technologies to automatically collect usage information, such as:
- Cookies. Our websites may place "cookies" on your device and access these cookies during subsequent uses. Furthermore, our websites may allow third parties to place and access cookies on your device. Our websites may also identify cookies of third parties that are present on your computer. Cookies enable us and third parties to identify your specific device on subsequent visits to our sites and third party sites. By identifying returning visitors, we can obtain more precise usage data, provide customized versions of our sites, and store your preferences. Our sites may also set and access cookies that retain personal information, such as your login credentials for our sites.
- Referrer headers. We may record referrer headers when you follow links to our web services. A web browser sends a referrer header to a destination site when the user clicks on a link to that site. The header contains the Internet address or URL of the site linking to the destination site. The referrer header may provide information about your interaction with the linking site. For example, if you follow a link to one of our web services from a search engine, we may be able to determine and store the search query that you used to find our site. We use this information to improve our web services and increase their accessibility to search engines. We also use referrer information to monitor our advertising campaigns, as described more fully below.
- Beacons and trackers. We may send you communications containing, and certain pages on our websites may contain, "web beacons" (also known as "Internet tags," "pixel tags," "tracking beacons," and "clear GIFs.") A web beacon is a small or invisible image included in a web page or email that allows the person hosting the beacon to determine when the page or email has been viewed. That person may also be able to set or access cookies on your device. Web beacons may also collect usage information.
Types of Information We Collect
We may ask for, and you may choose to provide personal information that could be used to identify you as an individual. We also may obtain personal information about you from third parties. Examples of personal information we may collect include:
- Your contact information (such as name, social media screen name, handle or other identifier, postal and email address, or telephone number)
- Personal information you share pursuant to your social media privacy settings
- Demographic information (such as age, date of birth and gender)
- Information relating to your interests based on your online behavior including information you disclose on social media
- Location information, such as the real-time geographic location of the device you are using to access the Georgia-Pacific-provided service, if you allow your device to provide it automatically
- Payment details (including payment card number, security code, expiration date, cardholder name and billing address)
- Contact information of friends or other people you like us to contact
- Other details that you may submit to us or that may be included in the information provided to us by third parties
We also collect usage information, that is, information about how our users interact with our Internet services, such as websites, social media sites and mobile applications, and with other, third party, websites over time. This usage information may include:
- Pages you view, links you click or hover over, and selections you make on our and third-party websites
- Your browser's HTTP referrer header, in the case of a website
- Features you use, preferences you set, and selections you make, if the service is provided through a mobile application
- Your web browser type and version, if the service is a website
- The operating system type and version of the device you are using to access the service
- The Internet protocol (IP) address of the device you are using to access the Georgia-Pacific provided service
We may also determine additional information about you from usage information, such as your general physical location or Internet service provider based on your Internet protocol address.
How We Use Your Information
We may use the information we obtain about you to:
- Communicate with you about our products, services, offers, events and promotions, and offer you products and services we believe may be of interest to you; we may communicate with you via social media platforms, online advertising and by sending you email business alerts and newsletters
- Provide customer support, including by responding to requests for information about our products and services (such as material safety information or inquiries about Encadria services)
- Provide you with the specific services that you request
- Manage your participation in our events, sweepstakes, and other promotions (including by sending e-Cards, sharing information found on our websites with others, and sending email invitations)
- Facilitate your involvement in our charity programs and community activities
- Manage your participation in our procurement auctions
- Operate secure portals for business customers
- Process payment card transactions
- Operate, evaluate, and improve our business
- Gather your feedback about and improve our products, services, programs, and Internet services
- Analyze and enhance our marketing communications and strategies, and trends and statistics regarding use of our Internet services
- Protect against and prevent fraud, unauthorized transactions, claims, and other liabilities, and manage risk exposure, including by identifying potential hackers and other unauthorized users
- Comply with applicable legal requirements and industry standards and with our policies
We may combine information we collect from various sources, such as third party advertisers and marketing agencies, with personal information we collect from you. We treat this combined information as personal information, in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
How We Share Your Information
We will not provide any of your personal information to any third parties without your specific consent except as described in this Privacy Notice, or as otherwise described on the individual Georgia-Pacific site or other Internet service that requests your personal information. We may also share your information as disclosed at the time you provide it, as otherwise set forth in this Privacy Notice, and in the following circumstances:
- Third party service providers. In order to carry out your requests, to make various features, services and materials available to you through the services, to respond to your inquiries, and for other purposes described in the "How We Use Your Information" section of this Privacy Notice, we may share your personal information or usage information with third parties that perform functions on our behalf (or on behalf of our partners), such as companies or individuals that: host or operate our sites; analyze data; provide customer service; mail product samples or manage payments; advertisers; sponsors or other third parties that participate in or administer our promotions or provide marketing or promotional assistance (such as in connection with winner selection, prize fulfillment, and as required by law, such as on a winners list).
- Sharing with your consent. Our services may present you with the opportunity to opt in to receive information or marketing offers from third parties or to otherwise consent to the sharing of your information with third parties. If you agree to have your personal information shared, your personal information will be disclosed to the third party subject to the privacy notice and business practices of that third party.
- Marketing partners. In some cases, we may permit certain network advertising companies and publishers to collect personal information on our sites. In addition, our business partners may access personal information about you that we have combined with such business partners' data. We may collaborate with our business partners to jointly send tailored promotional communications to you using the combined set of information. If you prefer not to receive these joint communications, you can opt out by following the instructions included in any such communication.
- Non-personal information. We may share non-personal information, such as aggregate user statistics, demographic information, and usage information with third parties.
- Business transfers. We may disclose your personal information, usage information, and other information about you to parties acquiring part or all of our assets, as well as to attorneys and consultants. If we transfer your information to an acquirer, we will use reasonable efforts to direct the acquirer to use your information in a manner that is consistent with this Privacy Notice. Also, if any bankruptcy or reorganization proceeding is brought by or against us, your information may be considered a company asset that may be sold or transferred to third parties.
- Disclosures required by law. We may transfer and disclose your information to third parties (i) to comply with a legal obligation, (ii) when we believe in good faith that the law requires it, (iii) at the request of governmental authorities conducting an investigation, (iv) to verify or enforce our policies, (v) to respond to an emergency, or (vi) otherwise to protect the rights, property, safety, or security of third parties, users of our services or the public.
Online Advertising & Tracking
On our websites, we may collect information about your online activities to provide you with advertising about products and services tailored to your individual interests. For example, we may use the Audience Tracking features of Google Analytics as well as the remarketing features of Google AdWords in order to track our website visitors across different Internet sites while providing them with ads from us.
You may receive interest-based ads from us and from our ad providers that are specifically tailored to your interests. These ads have been selected based on your use of our websites, services and/or products as well as other information obtained by us and our ad providers. It is also possible that such interest-based advertising has been tailored to the interests that advertisers have inferred from your browsing of our websites, or from your use of other websites or applications with which a third-party has partnered, in order to provide advertising.
Our websites also use marketing automation cookies provided by one of our third party service providers that track user behavior between our websites and marketing emails. We also deploy cookies provided by a third party service provider that track and score user behavior on the Georgia-Pacific websites. Such data help us create deeper and more personalized engagements for our website visitors. Additionally, we use a third-party service provider that deploys tracking cookies to users who submit product reviews or comments relating to our websites, products and services. Such cookies can track users who visit websites with which this third party is affiliated, and may place ads unrelated to us.
We also engage with third-party advertising networks. Ad networks may include third-party ad servers, ad agencies, sponsors, ad technology vendors and research firms. We do not share personal information with these third parties, but ad networks may set and access their own cookies, beacons and similar technologies on your device and they may otherwise collect or have access to information about you, including usage information, by tracking your online activities over time and across third-party websites or online services. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of these third parties. These ad networks may use the information they collect for their own purposes. We and our network advertisers may target advertisements for products and services in which you might be interested based on your visits to both our services and other websites and Internet services. Such cookies track users who visit websites with which they are affiliated and place ads unrelated to us.
Some of our services and social networking features enable you to submit your own content for public posting. Information you post in this fashion becomes public information and is not subject to this Privacy Notice. We cannot control how others may use publicly-posted information.
Any information, communications, or material of any type or nature that you submit to our websites or mobile applications (including, but not limited to any Georgia-Pacific website contained on a social media platform or website such as Facebook or Twitter) by e-mail, posting, messaging, uploading, downloading, or otherwise (collectively, a “Submission”), is done at your own risk and without any expectation of privacy. Georgia-Pacific cannot control the actions of other users of any social media platform or website, and Georgia-Pacific is therefore not responsible for any content or Submissions contained on such sites and platforms.
We offer you certain choices about what information we collect from you, how we use and share the information, and how we communicate with you. We do not charge for opt out service. To help protect your privacy and security, we may take reasonable steps to verify your identity, such as requiring a password and user ID.
You may opt out of (i) sharing your personal information with third parties for those parties' own purposes, (ii) using your personal information to provide you with information or offers; and (iii) receiving newsletters, emails or other communications by clicking here or writing to:
Attention: Privacy Office
P.O. Box 105605
Atlanta, GA 30348
In addition, you have the following specific opt out choices:
- Marketing communications. You may also opt out of specific communications (such as marketing email communication we send jointly with our business partners) by following the opt out instructions contained in the communication. Even if you opt out, you may continue to receive service-related communications, such as responses to your inquiries, or information about your orders or changes in our terms or policies, and we may maintain the information we have about you for record keeping, analysis or other reasons.
- Cookies. Most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to be notified when you receive a new cookie, and how to disable existing cookies. However, rejecting cookies may affect your user experience and you may not be able to access certain features of our sites. In addition, disabling cookies may invalidate opt outs that rely on cookies, such as web analytics or targeted advertising opt outs.
- Targeted advertising & tracking. If you prefer to not receive targeted advertising, you can opt out of some network advertising programs that use your information, such as Google Analytics and Google AdWords. To do so please visit the Network Advertising Initiative's ("NAI") Opt Out Page. Please note that even if you choose to opt out, you may still see advertisements while browsing, but the advertisements you see may be non-specific. Additionally, many network advertising programs allow you to view and manage the interest categories they have compiled from your online browsing activities. These interest categories help determine the types of targeted advertisements you may receive. NAI opt out may not be effective for mobile applications. The NAI Opt Out Page provides a tool that identifies its member companies that have cookies on your browser and provides links to those companies. Please note that we may also engage with ad networks that do not participate in the NAI Opt Out. Those networks may offer their own opt-out choices.
- Geographic location. When you use our application on your mobile device, you may choose not to share your geo-location details with us by adjusting the device's location services settings. For instructions on changing the relevant settings, please contact your service provider or device manufacturer.
Please note that even if you opt-out as described above, Georgia-Pacific will retain your personal information for analytical purposes and other internal purposes including an ability to reconnect you with such personal information if you later opt-in to any of the data sharing, use or communications set forth above.
California Residents and Do-Not-Track Disclosure
If you are a California resident, you may ask us to refrain from sharing your information (whether collected online or offline) with our affiliates for their marketing purposes, if the affiliates are separate legal entities. Please tell us your preference by contacting us as indicated in the "How to Contact Us" section of this Privacy Notice.
Because there is not yet a consensus on how companies should respond to web browser-based or other do-not-track ("DNT") mechanisms, Georgia-Pacific websites do not respond to web browser-based DNT signals.
Privacy Practices of Third Parties
Our services may link to other services that we do not control, including to social networks, services of advertisers, sponsors, and partners that may use our logo(s) as part of a co-branding agreement. To the extent that any linked services are not provided by any Georgia-Pacific companies covered by this Privacy Notice, we do not control, recommend or endorse and we are not responsible for these services or their privacy policies or practices. These services may or may not have their own privacy notices or policies, or have privacy practices that differ from ours, so consult the privacy policies of those third party sites as we have no control over the use, dissemination or security of personal information you submit to them. The linked services may send their own cookies to your device, they may independently collect data or solicit personal information. You may configure your browser to reject cookies from our sites and cookies from third parties. However, rejecting cookies may affect your user experience and you may be unable to access certain features of our sites.
How We Protect Your Personal Information
We maintain certain administrative, technical and physical safeguards to help protect against loss, misuse or unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction of your personal information. However, no electronic data transmission or storage of information can be completely secure. We cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or that we acquire. Accordingly, you must use our services at your own risk.
If you are located in the European Economic Area, please visit our Safe Harbor Privacy Notice to learn how you can exercise and amend your choices.
The following Georgia-Pacific subsidiaries and affiliates are certified under the U.S. Commerce Department's Safe Harbor privacy framework for the collection, storage, transfer, use and other processing of consumer, customer, supplier, and other personal information transferred from the European Economic Area and Switzerland to the United States:
- Georgia-Pacific LLC
- Georgia-Pacific Building Products LLC
- Georgia-Pacific Chemicals LLC
- Georgia-Pacific Gypsum LLC
- Georgia-Pacific Wood Products LLC
- Georgia-Pacific Corrugated LLC
- Georgia-Pacific Containerboard LLC
- Georgia-Pacific Consumer Products LP
- Dixie Consumer Products LLC
- GP Cellulose, LLC
- GP Harmon Recycling LLC
Please click here to view our Safe Harbor Privacy Notice.
Consent to Transfer and Processing of Your Personal Information
We operate our services in the United States and in other countries and we may transfer your information to the United States or other countries for storage and processing. By using the sites, or providing us with any information, you consent to the collection, processing, maintenance, and transfer of such information in and to the United States and other countries in which the privacy laws may not be as comprehensive as those in your country of residence or citizenship.
We actively seek employment applications on our website and through third party job posting sites. We also use third parties to assist us in recruiting and hiring. Accordingly, if you provide personal information as part of an application for employment with us, we may share your application information with these third parties, such as other companies under common ownership with Georgia-Pacific. We may also share your application information with our corporate affiliates and parent. We will only use your application information to evaluate you for positions with our company and with our affiliates and parent and for contacting you about your candidacy. If you choose to provide optional information, such as your race or ethnic background, we will not use this optional information in evaluating your application.
Our services are generally not directed to children under 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under 13 without parental consent. If you become aware that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13 without parental consent, please let us know immediately so we can take appropriate action.
Accessing Your Personal Information
If you wish to view, verify, correct, or update any of your personal information collected through a specific Internet service, you may edit your profile within that service. In addition, if you believe other personal information we maintain about you is inaccurate, you may request that we correct or amend the information by contacting us as indicated in the "How to Contact Us" section of this Privacy Notice. If we deny an access request, we will notify you of the reasons for the denial.
Please review our Privacy Notice periodically, as we may change it at any time and without prior notice to you. Any changes will be effective immediately upon the posting unless otherwise indicated. We will post a notice on the GP.com home page to notify you of any significant changes to this Privacy Notice. The date below indicates when this Privacy Notice was last changed.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice, or if you would like us to update information we have about you or your preferences, please contact us by clicking here or writing to:
Attention: Privacy Office
P.O. Box 105605
Atlanta, GA 30348
Last updated: May 14, 2015