It's National Forest Products Week, a nationally designated time to recognize the contributions of forest products in our everyday lives. A world without the comfort and convenience of forest products is hard to imagine: A cold without tissues – no thank you! A sturdy wood frame for our home – it's a staple of generations. Corrugated boxes delivered to our doorstep – yes, please!
The U.S. forest products industry is also one of our country’s greatest success stories. The industry accounts for approximately 4 percent of the total U.S. manufacturing GDP and employs over 900,000 men and women at a payroll of approximately $50 billion per year.
Here are a few more fun facts about our industry – did you know?:
- The U.S. forest products industry is a top 10 manufacturer in 45 states.
- Every day, U.S. papermakers recycle enough paper to fill a 15 mile long train of boxcars.
- Every ton of paper that's recovered saves 3.3 cubic yards of landfill space.
- Products like diapers and other sanitary items are made with pulp from trees.
- Today, the United States has 20 percent more trees than it did on the first Earth Day celebration more than 40 years ago.
Check out this video to learn how Georgia-Pacific employees are Making Life’s Simple Necessities® out of forest products.