History of the Camas MillCamas Mill Homepage
Camas Mill History
Henry Pittock, J.K. Gill, and William Lewthwaite formed the Columbia River Paper Company in 1884, and the mill began producing wood pulp in 1885, considered to be the first wood pulp manufactured in the Northwest U.S.
In the early 2000s, the mill began to produce office papers and enMotion towel. Many older systems were eliminated, resulting in better efficiency and reduced emissions. In 2013, the mill received a Governor’s Award for Leadership in Energy Performan
In the early 1980s and 1990s, several modernization projects were completed. In 1997, James River Corp. merged with Fort Howard Corp. to form Fort James Corp., then in 2000, Georgia-Pacific, the mill’s current owner, acquired Fort James.
Through the 1950-1960s, the mill added a research division, another paper machine and a bleach plant. During the 70s and 80s, significant investments were made to reduce energy use and improve environmental performance.
By the mid-1920s, through additions and mergers, the mill was the largest paper company on the West Coast. In 1930, the mill began producing specialty paper. During WWII, the mill’s machine shops manufactured shipyard parts to support the war effort.
Through the early 1900s, the mill grow to have over eight paper mills and approximately 450 employees. The mill was now the Crown Willamette Paper Company.
In 1883, the LaCamas Colony Company, began construction of a paper mill to supply newsprint for The Oregonian and other regional newspapers. By 1888, the plant employed 65 people—even though it was rebuilt after a fire in 1886.