History of Broadway MillGreen Bay Home Page
Broadway Mill History
The Broadway mill was originally started by Austin E. Cofrin in 1919 as the Fort Howard Paper Company
Georgia-Pacific invests $50 million to install a new paper recycling system at Broadway.
Koch Industries, Inc. acquires Georgia-Pacific. Georgia-Pacific is a privately-held, indirect, wholly-owned subsidiary of Koch Industries, Inc.
GP invests $60 million in mill capital improvements; No. 9 Paper Machine is rebuilt and is “one of a kind” in the paper industry because it makes air-dried, very soft commercial tissue.
On July 17, Fort James merges with Georgia-Pacific Corporation for $11 billion.
Fort Howard is acquired by James River Corp. of Richmond, Va., creating a $7.3 billion consumer products company named Fort James.
Fort Howard is one of 20 U.S. organizations to receive the U.S. EPA’s WasteWise award for its comprehensive and successful waste reduction programs.
Ecosource(TM), a system designed to sort large amount of wastepaper from office, becomes a subsidiary of Fort Howard.
Fort Howard’s expansion includes the acquisition of Harmon Associates, a New York-based wastepaper broker, which provides a portion of the mill's raw material.
First common stock issue sold to the public.
In January, paper production begins. In November, excavation for the second building begins, just eight months after the first shipment left the mill.
Austin E. Cofrin starts the Fort Howard Paper Company. Fort Howard’s original building is completed, and houses the first paper machine and all other machinery and activities for the new company.
Fort Howard is an outpost erected on the Fox River to help protect the flourishing fur trade.